What?! There are only ten days until Christmas? Let the get-everything-done-run-around-like-a-headless-chicken frenzy begin! It is tradition, after all.
Tonight I went to visit widows and widowers for our mutual activity. We live in an older ward that includes a retirement community, so there are few youth but plenty of grandparents. We had over sixty people to visit tonight, so we broke into groups. My group consisted of two young women and one other leader. We had eleven people to visit and had a great time. Tonight's experience reminded me of two things:
1. There are so many AMAZING people all around me. I am constantly awed by the kindness, the wisdom, the accomplishments, the spirituality, and strength of the people in my ward. Our ward isn't perfect, but I feel truly blessed to be in this ward right now. One of the women we visited tonight used to be a federal judge in Washington D.C. Of the first 100 women to pass the bar exam in Utah, she was number forty. Every time I meet someone new and hear their stories, I am just amazed. And Sam is so lucky to have so many 'grandparents'. It really feels like we have a community of people who care for and love our son, and that is greatly needed to raise a child in today's world.
2. Christmas can be so hard if your heart is hurting. When you are alone or feel lonely, it seems like Christmas just seems to accentuate that hurt. (Let it be noted that I can hardly get through Mr. Kruger's Christmas. That show is heart wrenching to me!) I know Christmas is a time of cheer and joy, but it can also be a time of heart ache if what you want most doesn't fit under a Christmas tree or can't be wrapped in shiny paper with a bow on top. I also remember how hard it was when I was struggling with infertility...all those songs about baby Jesus and lullabies, and my heart would break that I would never have the opportunity to be a mother. It sounds silly to me now, but I remember some Christmas songs would break me down to tears. I hope that I can be more mindful, not just during this season, but throughout the year of the struggles and hurts of others. I think that remembering the real reason for the season, that because Jesus came to this earth in a stable, no crib for his bed, for us to have joy, then we can find hope and comfort in struggles and in holidays.
No comments:
Post a Comment