The past few months it has seemed like he has been training Gus and delegating a lot of his 'duties' to the puppy. He has started eating out of Gus' bowl and has given his bowl, the alpha bowl, to Gus. A few times I haven't been able to find him, only to discover him sleeping in the nursery with Sam. And the past week he just gives these looks that seem to say that it's okay to let go. But it is so hard. I know that he has had a good life and that he knows how much we love him. And he's been such a good dog. Well, more than a dog. He was our first boy. He is my best friend. When I think of all that he has helped me through, especially all the years of trying to start our family. So many times he would cuddle on the love sac with me while I cried. And when I was sick, he would be extra gentle when he would lie down next to me. He was my guardian. Whenever Hubs has to go out-of-town for work, he always tell Gimli, "Now you look after your momma for me." And Gimli does. He has always just been there. He went jeeping with us in Moab; he went rock crawling with us and even got to ride in Clay's bus once; he rode in parades; he went for walks; anyone who knows us well, knows Gimli. He is part of our family.
And now I just got off the phone and have set the date for the vet to come and put him down. No more denial. No more hoping to change fate. I was hoping we wouldn't have to make this decision, but I know that Gimli isn't happy. He has always been there for us, and now we need to be there for him.
Here's a song that Hubs had me listen to last night that feels like what Gimli has been trying to tell us:
If heaven was an hour, it would be twilight
When the fireflies start their dancin' on the lawn
And supper's on the stove and mamma's laughin'
And everybody's workin' day is done.
If heaven was a town, it would be my town
On a summer day in 1985
And everything I wanted was out there waiting
And everyone I loved was still alive.
Chorus:
Don't cry a tear for me now baby;
There comes a time we must all say goodbye;
And if that's what heaven's made of
You know I ain't afraid to die.
If heaven was a pie, it would be cherry
Cool and sweet and heavy on your tongue
And just one bite would satisfy your hunger
And there'd always be enough for everyone.
If heaven was a train it sure would be a fast one
That could take this weary traveler round the bend
And if heaven was a tear, it'd be my last one
And you'd be in my arms again.
Chorus:
Don't cry a tear for me now baby;
There comes a time we must all say goodbye;
And if that's what heaven's made of
You know I ain't afraid to die.
And supper's on the stove and mamma's laughin'
And everybody's workin' day is done.
If heaven was a town, it would be my town
On a summer day in 1985
And everything I wanted was out there waiting
And everyone I loved was still alive.
Chorus:
Don't cry a tear for me now baby;
There comes a time we must all say goodbye;
And if that's what heaven's made of
You know I ain't afraid to die.
If heaven was a pie, it would be cherry
Cool and sweet and heavy on your tongue
And just one bite would satisfy your hunger
And there'd always be enough for everyone.
If heaven was a train it sure would be a fast one
That could take this weary traveler round the bend
And if heaven was a tear, it'd be my last one
And you'd be in my arms again.
Chorus:
Don't cry a tear for me now baby;
There comes a time we must all say goodbye;
And if that's what heaven's made of
You know I ain't afraid to die.

I totally feel for you - that is so sad! Good luck, we're wiping tears away too!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Jolene....so sad... (hugs)
ReplyDeleteoh man. I am really sorry. This post made me cry! our prayers are with you guys!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I know what he means to you. I know that they are in our lives for a reason just like everyone is. I had a dog Babie when I was in elementary school and high school so got me through so many hard times in my life, when I was "growing up". She was always there for me. Then Steve and I got together and she let go. She knew that I was taking care of and that I didn't "need her" anymore. Which I thought I did, but she knew I had Steve and I would be taken care of. I think Gimli feels the same way. He will always be with you but he knows you will be okay. Even though it might not feel like it for awhile.
ReplyDeleteI know it is strange, but I have wondered (and even asked Ken to ask the Stake President, but he didn't) about heaven and if there is a special Animal Heaven or if they get to be with us. Ken and I decided that when they are a part of your family, then you get to be with them again. I am so sorry, Gimli is an amazing dog. We love you guys.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry! I know how much he carried you through. I hope you feel peace at this time.
ReplyDelete