Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Friday, May 10, 2013

Being a mom is like being a politician.

There's campaigns to run (my campaign is JJ4MOTY--Jolene Jenkins 4 Mother of the Year) and babies to kiss every day. Yep, being a mom is a lot like being a politician. As a mom, I am always trying to keep my constituents happy, but there is always someone who isn't. I deliver grand speeches that no one really listens to, and I try to resolve complaints through out the day that never get resolved.

And like some politicians, I find myself constantly breaking promises that I once made. For example, before I had children, I made statements such as these:
I will never allow my children to eat junk food.
I will never let my children watch television until they are at least three, and then only a couple of hours each week.
I will never yell at my children.
I will never be that parent that has the wild children at church.
I will never become a frumpy mom who sometimes forgets to comb her hair.

I have discovered, since having children of my own, that 'never' is a very strong word. When I said "never", I meant occasionally...well, sometimes...well, no more than once a day...well...let's talk about something else, shall we?





No comments:

Post a Comment