Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Being a mom is like being a mother grizzly bear.

Being a mom means joining a primal club that includes members from all different species. The human mother is most comparable to the mother grizzly bear. When you are in bear country, one of the biggest rules to follow is to avoid bear cubs at all costs. Bear cubs are clumsy and adorable, but if there is a bear cub then momma bear isn't going to be very far away. And you DO NOT want to mess with momma bear. Momma bear doesn't care if you were just trying to get a good picture or share your pb&j sandwich with her offspring. She will tear you to shreds before you can take a breath to explain.

I have found myself going momma bear a few times. Heaven help anyone who tries to hurt my boys. Once I even went a little momma bear on my husband. He was driving a little too fast or recklessly, in my opinion, and I had my cubs strapped in their car seats in the back of the car. It wasn't pretty. If I remember correctly, I may have threatened to rip his arm off and beat him with it if he didn't slow down and be careful right then. I'm not a violent person, per se, but when it comes to my children, I would not hesitate to do whatever I needed to do to protect them.

Also, here's a little lesson dads can learn from nature: Daddy bears usually stay clear of momma bears right after she has her cubs. I mean, unless he wants to help clean the cave or take the cubs for a stroll to give momma bear some rest, daddy bears know it's best to just steer clear of momma bear until she gets feeling back to her normal self. =)

By the way, I took this awesome picture of this momma bear nursing her cubs (yes, I know this goes against everything I just said, but I feel like this momma bear and I had an understanding, and I had a really good zoom on the camera, and I felt like I could outrun some of the other people that were there at the time). I love how she's slouched against a tree and looks so thrilled. I know that feeling sometimes. Don't get me wrong, nursing is great, but every two to three hours, really?! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment