Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Anniversary! (A late post)

Hubs and I have been married for seven years now. Seven years! In some ways it seems like it's only been a year, but then sometimes it feels like we've been together forever. I am amazed at how lucky I am to have Nic as my husband. He's not perfect, but he's perfect for me. We've had so many wonderful memories together, and we've made it through many trials, trials that only made us closer. He loves me, and I love him more every day! What a lucky girl I am!

For our anniversary, we celebrated a couple of days early and went to the Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band concert. We had so much fun despite my usual shenanigans. We had purchased our tickets on-line and so had to print out vouchers and bring them to get in. I remembered to print out the vouchers. Nic dropped me off, so that he could go park the car and I could take care of the tickets. I folded the vouchers, put them in my purse, and headed to the info desk to see what I needed to do with them. It wasn't far, but somehow in my small journey, I lost the vouchers. I emptied out my purse, back tracked, and then ran into Nic and had to explain that somehow I had lost the tickets. Being the awesome husband that he is, he walked back to the car with me and all over to try to find the vouchers. No luck. I have no idea what happened to them. Most likely it was one of those random black holes that suddenly opens up, sucks up an item, and then disappears. These random black holes have happened to me before. Finally, when we had just about given up hope, we saw a copy center and were able to print off the vouchers again. I'm so glad it worked out because the concert was awesome! It was held at BYU, and it was fun to return to my old stomping grounds. It also aged us because suddenly these college students seemed so young! I realized that I could have kids in college that I taught in 8th grade. It also made me realize how glad I am not to be in the dating world anymore. I was never really good at the whole dating scene, but looking around and seeing all those awkward dates and nervous conversations, just reminded me of how much fun it all was.

Anyway, Ryan Shupe puts on an amazing concert. It is always amazing to see people who are passionate about what they do doing what they love. Two highlights from the concert: Ryan Shupe wrote a song about his little girl. The song is called My Dandelion. It was a sweet song that got me to thinking how all little girls are dandelions. There's time to be daffodils and roses later in life, but for a few years, little girls get to be beautiful, wild rays of sunshine yellow swirling through a world of green. The second highlight was when Ryan Shupe called his little two-year old boy up onto the stage. The little boy has this little fiddle he likes to pack around and he sawed away on that thing. He was so cute on stage, dancing, singing, and fiddling away. It was adorable!

Now for the highlight of the evening--now many don't know this, but Nic is quite the romantic. After the concert, we wandered around for a bit just holding hands. Then we ended up on the bridge that runs between the Wilkinson Center and the law building. Nic suddenly stopped, pulled out his I-pod, put one bud in my ear and one in his, cued our song, and we slow danced to our song on that bridge. It was so sweet! I love my husband!

So in honor of seven years of awesomeness, here are seven of my favorite memories so far (in no particular order):
1. Rushing into the temple after a hectic start to the day and there he was, nervous and smiling. He grabbed my hand and has held my heart ever since. On that very cold day (it was 8 degrees that day) in January, we were married for forever.
2. Finding out that we were finally going to get our miracle. We were both in shock and just sat there holding each other and crying.
3. Seeing Nic hold our newborn son for the first time. And I love how Nic was by my side the entire time--sixteen hours! He always teased that he was going to be in the lobby watching football, but, in reality, he was there for me the entire time. And this might be cheating but I adding this to this: The day I went into labor, Nic sat me down and pulled out his guitar (this was before I was in labor!). He had been secretly practicing and had learned to play Brad Paisley's I Thought I Loved You Then. As he played it for me and sang for me, I was just amazed at how much this man really loves me.
4. It was our first year anniversary. We had been working on our basement project all day, and I was taking a shower when I heard a kid talking in the backyard. I figured it was just a neighbor kid or something and didn't think much about it. When I got out of the shower, Nic kept urging me to come look at some jeep part he was thinking about buying. The person was at our house, and he really wanted me to take a look at it before he decided. So I came outside and there was this giant, brown dog. And Nic kept asking me what I thought about the dog and kept making comments about the dog, and I was wondering the whole time when we were going to see the jeep part. Finally, Nic said, "Do you think this dog could live at our house?" And I finally figured out that there was no jeep part and that he had got me a dog. This was after he said so many times, "No dogs! No dogs!" Suddenly, we had a 130 lb. dog in our family! Gimli!
5. Sloshing through our flooded basement. This isn't one of my favorite memories because I got a new basement out of it (though I do love my red wall and that it doesn't look like a bachelor pad anymore), but because we were in it together. I remember trying to get the water out and clean up the mess and just laughing together. We got through it and we did it together.
6. Dancing in the kitchen. This isn't just one memory but many. So many times I'll be cooking dinner and one of our songs will come on, and Nic will wrap me in his arms and we'll slow dance. I love that we are still in love!
7. Nic sitting on my parent's couch. "So do you wanna get hitched?"
Me: "Are you awake?" A few minutes of stammering and disbelief.
Nic: "So are you going to answer?"
Me: "Are you asking me to marry you?"
Nic: "Yeah."
Me: "Yes!"

As I've thought about these different memories, I've realized that there are so many other memories that I cherish. It was really hard to choose favorites! Maybe on our 50th anniversary, I'll be able to cover more of my favorite memories, but then again, by then, I'm sure fifty memories won't even come close to really capturing this wonderful thing we have. I'm so glad I've got this guy for forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment