Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Random Thoughts

Random Thought #1: I hate when you are in a fight with your husband and then you have to go talk at a Relief Society thing. Then you're not feeling spiritual or in the mood for spiritual things. And I hate that Hubs and I are both so hard-headed. When our stubbornness is directed at the same thing, watch out world, there's no stopping us. When our stubbornness is directed at each other, it's like the Ghostbusters crossing streams..."bad things happen"! Hubs has the Welsh hard-headedness, and I've got that Spanish fiestiness boiling in my veins...how are the walls still standing? By the way, the Relief Society birthday celebration went really well. Five sisters, including me, were the guest speakers, and we each gave some of our experiences with RS. I read my letter that I posted awhile ago. We laughed, and we cried...and then I came home and growled at my husband! I guess I'm a work in progress. I'll have to try to swallow my pride today and be nice to the guy. Repeat after me: I will not get mad at my husband. No matter what he does today, I will not get mad at my husband. I will be the first to call a truce...

Random Thought #2: It's really too funny/sad of a thing not to fully explain the toilet brush thing. So I mentioned the incident in my last post I think, but I really need to give it the detail that it deserves! So, I needed to buy a bottle brush. I went to the grocery story and went to the cleaning aisle. I chose the brush that I thought looked the closest to a bottle brush. I remember wondering about it at the time though. I never thought to look on the baby aisle for a bottle brush, because, of course, this is where they are located. I used the brush that I bought for a little over a month and stored it in a mug next to the sink. Every time I used the brush, I would have to cram it into the bottles and when I would yank it out, water would spray everywhere. And I would think, "Man! You would think they would have come up with an easier-to-use bottle brush by now!" At the back of my mind was also the thought that this brush didn't look like any of the bottle brushes I had used at other homes when I used to babysit. So then comes the day when I'm taking random pictures of the baby, and I decide to have him hold the brush so it looks like he is cleaning. This is the moment when it occurs to me that the brush he is holding looks an awful lot like our toilet brush. Weird. But I decide to use this to my advantage and tell grandma that baby has to scrub toilets as part of his daily chores. I send off the picture, but the thought keeps coming into my mind, "This brush looks just like a toilet brush..." Finally, I figure out why...it is a toilet brush!!! For over a month, I had been using a toilet brush to clean my baby's bottles, and I've been storing said toilet brush next to my kitchen sink! This week I went and bought an actual bottle brush, and I am amazed at how effective and efficient the bottle brush really is! =)

Random Thought #3: Another crazy thing I've done recently: The other day I was downtown SLC to run an errand. I hate driving downtown, by the way. I can't ever find anything, and I just get so nervous. You've got to remember I was trained to drive on the streets of G-ville where they didn't even have one stop light at the time! Anyway, I decided to park my car and take Baby in his stroller and go look for the place I needed on foot. So I unloaded the stroller from the back of my Cherokee, got it set up, and as I was pulling the door shut, I got distracted by some sound. I looked toward the sound but was still pulling the door down. Crack! I shut the door right on my head. You know how when you hit your head, it sometimes tingles like it's bleeding? I hate that feeling. Well, I put my hand up to my head, and it was bleeding! Are you also aware that head wounds, no matter how small, tend to bleed like no other? I had blood running into my right eye and down my face into my mouth and down my hand. So I ended up bending over to keep any more blood from getting on my clothes while searching through the diaper bag for some diaper wipes. I finally got the bleeding to stop and then proceeded to try to scrub the blood out of my hair, off of my face, and out of clothes. I was looking hot when all was said and done! I remember there were a couple of homeless people around, and I hoping that they wouldn't come and try to help. I know it's discrimination...maybe they were once heart surgeons, who knows?! The ironic thing was that the whole reason that I was downtown was to cancel my insurance so that I could switch over to Hub's insurance. I called him and asked him if I was still covered right then, just in case. He asked, "Just in case what?" And I told him, "Just in case I get a concussion and end up going to the hospital..." Needless to say, he was a little worried about me. I will admit, at first, I was a little disoriented, but that doesn't really explain me getting lost downtown. Sadly, I was lost before hitting my head. I called Hubs and asked, "What east is State Street?" He said, "100 East...aren't you supposed to be on 500 East?!" I said, "right!" and turned around to head in the right direction. Finally, Hubs decided that he didn't like me wandering around downtown, lost and with a possible head concussion, with his son in tow, so he told me to stay where I was and he came downtown to help me out. I was a little embarrassed but glad for the help. Only I can turn a simple errand into a grand adventure! Possible Ulysses (a.k.a. Odysseus) was supposed to be just running to the grocery store to buy a bottle brush for his son, Telemachus, when he got lost and hit his head and had a ten year adventure...hopefully Penelope was as understanding and patient as Hubs is for me! (Remembering this moment is helping me with my earlier dilemma!)

Random Thought #4: When I was first pregnant, I ended up losing a lot of weight. I wasn't really sick or anything, my body just gave everything to the baby. During my pregnancy, I only gained about 15 lbs. Lucky, right? I thought it was ironic that for the first time in my life that I was trying to gain weight, I was losing weight. Suddenly I had a metabolism? But I wasn't complaining. The doctor said the baby was fine, and I was feeling good. Right after I had the baby I dropped a lot of weight. Within a couple of days after I got home from the hospital, I was at the weight that I had been in 9th grade. I was feeling good! I was tucking in my shirt, wearing belts...my regular, non-maternity clothes were baggy on me. People would comment on how skinny I was looking. My name and skinny had never been used in the same sentence before. Life was good! Admittedly, I was getting cocky. I could eat what I wanted and wasn't exercising, and still I was looking good. Then I got my appendix out. I swear this is what happened: the doctor is operating away when he notices this layer of fat tucked away behind some things, slightly fallen down on the floor of my pelvis. "Hmmmmm...what is this?" He asks himself, "I think we'll just put this right back up where it belongs!" I woke up from my surgery sore and, to my dismay, with my belly pooch. My mom and others tried to console me and told me that my tummy was probably just swollen from the operation. But it has been over A MONTH and still the belly pooch remains. My old, indestructible friend has returned. Eating only salad for a month cannot touch her. Doing the exercise video Ab Assault! religiously doesn't even turn her head. The belly pooch is here to stay! Well, it was nice while it lasted! =)

How was that for a random thought day?!

1 comment: