Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Oh Baby!

Yesterday we had the usual doctor appointment. I have to admit that I am a total doctor-junkie. Granted I don't like just any doctor, I'm into OB-GYN's! Don't worry, I'm not deranged or anything, I just love going and hearing my baby's heart beat. I like hearing a professional tell me that everything is looking good. It's addicting! And after next month's appointment, I will start the every two weeks appointments. Am I getting that far along already?

So how does this pregnancy differ from the last one? Well, while I'm doing much better now, the first trimester was a little more rough than before. Granted, I don't compare to the horror stories out there--I rarely even throw up--but I'm a bit of a drama queen and not a good sick person, so it seems end-of-the-world to me sometimes! With both pregnancies, I've had problems with my hips. Many nights my hips will wake me from a dead sleep, and I flip-flop all night like a fish out of water (or a politician, haha). During my first pregnancy, I purchased a body pillow, named Phil, that helped quite a bit. This time, Phil just wasn't doing it for me, so I purchased one of those giant 'S' shaped Boppy pillows. His name is Bob. Bob has been a life-saver! I'll still get some pain in my hips every once in awhile, but most nights I sleep very well thanks to Bob. What can I say? The hips don't lie! Poor Nic. Sometimes he has to share a bed with Bob, Phil, and Henry (my heating pad). But I always make sure I give him a kiss good-night before cuddling up with the rest of my guys!

The biggest difference is, well, I'm BIG! I remember having a little baby bump and thinking I was so huge with the first pregnancy. This time, I'm five months along and look more like seven months. This lady at church asked me if it was possible that I might be having twins. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take a comment like that! My theory is that when Sam was in the womb, he set up a really nice bachelor pad, complete with couch, love sac, big screen T.V., and possibly a wet bar. The new baby (whom we call Little Arliss) saw the 'push here' button, pushed it, and voila! Pop out condo!

So why do we call the baby Little Arliss, you ask (perhaps with concern that that might be the name we are planning on using)? Well, that is what my parents were planning on naming me before I was born. They were dead set that they were having a boy, but, fortunately, I surprised them and got out of being named Arliss.

Little Arliss is quite the active little fellow. I first felt him move on March 20th. I love feeling him punch and kick and do cartwheels. It is the best feeling in the world! Nic even felt him move a couple of weeks ago. It was one of those tender moments. Nic had his head on my lap and was talking to Arliss and all of sudden Arliss gave him a little punch on the cheek. Nic was so excited. "Was that the baby?" I nodded. I think it was a great bonding moment for Nic and the baby. We are so excited for when we'll get to meet this little guy. It will be here soon enough. Though I have to admit, I also get a little anxious on how I'm going to manage with a toddler and a newborn. We'll just have to wait and see!

1 comment:

  1. someone rubbed my belly at church last week and asked if I was having a little brother for Addison - um no.

    ReplyDelete