Some things never change though which is comforting in a way. There's still the same challenges and still many of the same jokes. There will always be that student that everyone talks about: "One more day with that kid, and I would have strangled him..." But also the made-it-all-worth-it kids. I've been going through my stuff, trying to get organized, and I came across some of my old notes from students (I save everything, to the chagrin of my husband). It was good to read through some of the notes and remember the good times. It helped me to realize that I did make a difference for some kids. Sometimes I wonder if in eight years of teaching, if I really did make much a difference. The notes helped me to see that I did make a difference in my own way. It's like the starfish story where the grandpa and his grandson are walking along the beach and the little boy keeps throwing starfish back into the ocean. When the grandpa tells the little boy, "Look at all of the starfish on this beach. You're not going to make much a difference," the little boy responds by holding up one starfish and throwing it into the ocean and saying, "Yeah, but I made a difference for that one."
Anyway, life is good. It certainly isn't boring. The main reason I've been organizing lately is because my office flooded. Apparently a new rain gutter we had installed last year empties right into our window well. With the really wet weather we've been having, the window well has been filling up and emptying into my office. Thus, we had to empty out my office and will probably need to get new carpet and re-paint it. I wanted to re-paint my office anyway, but it was not good in that it looks like my office exploded across the basement and a little upstairs. What was once tucked away in my office, is now on Hub's radar. "Man! You have a lot of stuff!" is what I've been hearing, and then, "You need to clean out your stuff..." And I have to admit it, he's right. I have so much stuff. Don't be surprised if you see me on the next episode of that show about hoarders! So little by little, I've been cleaning, organizing, DI-ing, and throwing things out. Fun!
As for our big news, Hubs just graduated with his MBA last month. I am so proud of him. It has been a crazy two years with school, work, church stuff, every-day life stuff, and then our wonderful new addition. Hubs had finals shortly after Baby arrived. Now that was fun! The result was the lowest grade he had ever gotten. But as a good friend said, "C's get degrees!" But Hubs worked hard and now is a mighty graduate! I tease him that I'm going to get my doctorate so that on the Christmas cards I can write Dr. and Mr. J. That would be awesome. Plus, there is this doctorate program in Creative Writing that I would absolutely love! Sometimes I also want to go back to school and get a Master's in social work and do some counseling. For now, we're just glad to have our daddy back. Though it's crazy that once you take something off of your plate, how quickly that spot fills up again! But like I said, I'm so proud of Hubs. He is a good example for our little boy!
I am amazed at how smart he is. Before the appointment, he would go to bed around eight and then wake up around 4:30 or 5:00 a.m. to eat. The doctor told us that he should be fine to go all the way to six and to push him towards that time. Well, he must have heard the doctor because he slept until six that next morning and has pretty much been sleeping in until six or later since. It has been so nice to get a full night's sleep again. Though before when he would wake up at five and eat, he would go back to bed until eight. Now he's up for good when he wakes up. Oh well, I'll take it! And he's an awesome napper. He usually takes pretty long morning and afternoon naps, 1-3 hours, and he goes down for a nap really well. I just put him in his crib after he's been awake for a couple of hours, and he goes to sleep. How did I get such a good baby? I'm wondering if this is a bad omen for the toddler years though...can such goodness last? He is so inquisitive and loves to explore everything around him. The other day, I had him on the floor while I was working on the computer. I had dumped out all of these toys for him to play with. Pretty soon I could here all of these noises. I looked over and he had rolled closer to his crib and was trying to lift the box to his Baby Einstein activity center. He had more fun with that box. Later on, I think we'll make it into a rocket ship or a race car or a ship or something. And I don't care what people think, I'm just giving him cardboard boxes for Christmas this year. He'll love it!
Last weekend we took Baby on his first camping trip. It was kind of impromptu--we weren't planning on staying the night, but we ended up crashing in Aunt Holly's motor home along with everyone else in the family! It was crowded but a fun adventure. Baby loved being outside. His cousins even caught horny toads for Baby S to pet. He liked that, though I think he wanted to eat them! It was a fun little mini-vacation! I'll see if I can get some pictures posted from that soon (once I get them downloaded off of the camera).
Anyway, that's about it for now. Every day is an adventure, that's for sure!
Sweet! We have that same Baby Einstein saucer, J LOVED IT, seriously, he would make out with the dragon, or what ever that is. And I did not fare so well putting it together, I got it together with everything just perftect, I thought, until Inoticed theat the catepilare was facing the wrong way....
ReplyDeleteThanks for the updates!