Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our Home Improvement Project

We have been busy, busy, busy getting our little nest ready for our little Turkey! And with the due date just four weeks away, we're really starting to feel the pressure. But the house is finally starting to look like a house again. It all started over the summer when we decided to re-model the bedroom we were using into a nursery. Actually it really began almost six years ago when we first got married and my parents got a us a bed, and we had the bed set up in the empty bedroom instead of the master bedroom because Hubs still had all of his stuff in the master bedroom. And we kept saying, "We'll move into the master bedroom next month..." And it just never happened. Well, I tease Hubs that he should have paid attention to the children's book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, because that's what happened. He could write his own book called If You Give your Wife a Nursery. As we looked at doing the nursery, we got to thinking that we might as well do the master bedroom and the hallway connecting them. And at first we were just going to take down the wallpaper and re-paint. But then we got to thinking that maybe the old, popcorn ceiling needed to go. And then we got to thinking that the rooms could use new baseboards and maybe a chair rail. And then we decided it was a good time to get all new windows through out the house. And then of course I couldn't do all the walls the same color. And then we started to notice how old and gross the carpet was...and pretty soon our little nursery project became a huge project. Probably the worse part has been that it's taken a little longer than we had planned. Since August everything from our bedroom has been piled in the front room and our bed has been standing on end in the dining room. I've been sleeping on a couch downstairs (which hasn't been too bad actually) and Hubs has been sleeping on a mattress behind the couch which he calls his 'Harry Potter bed'. Every morning we would stroll into the front room to get some clothes to wear (when the windows were getting replaced, we were totally fish bowling it and I'm sure more than one neighbor has now seen us in our underwear)! Anyway, Hubs just set up our bed in our brand new master bedroom this past week. It was kind of funny the first couple of nights because at first we were all awkward like newlyweds again, not knowing how to sleep in the same bed! Hubs is probably wishing for his Harry Potter bed again because I have a hard time getting comfortable, and I flip and flop like a fish all night long. Poor guy! He probably gets an elbow to the nose quite often! And now we're finally at the stage where I can start putting things away, and I can really turn up my nesting to full gear. If only I weren't so exhausted! =)BeforeAfterAs you can see, we still have work to do, but we're getting there! YAY!

1 comment:

  1. Fun, I have a list of things I want to do, but have never actually gotten around to doing, Good Job- J is 19 months old and still has a blanket draped over his window- I have the curtains and the rod, I just need to put them up----maybe by the time he is 3.

    ReplyDelete