Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Friday, December 4, 2009

A First Time Mother's First Night Prayer

Dear Lord,
I'm lying here in my own bed instead of that hospital one
with a thousand thoughts running through my head,
My newborn is sleeping peacefully
in his handmade cradle next to my bed,
And I'm realizing there are no doctors or nurses now,
and as a new mother I haven't got a clue!
So I'm doing what I've learned is best--
I'm turning my anxieties and fears over to You.
In the distance I can hear a siren wailing,
and strange noises in the dark that set off my mind's alarm;
The world suddenly seems such a dangerous place,
O, Lord, please keep my baby safe from harm.
Then in a quiet moment, I wonder if my baby is breathing;
I anxiously watch for his chest to rise and fall but suddenly I can't tell...
Please, Lord, bless him with health and strength,
And bless me to know that all is well.
Then I hear a cry, the third one of the night,
And I know that it's time to eat.
Please, Lord, bless me with Thy strength to stay awake,
Because, to be honest, I'm feeling beat!
Through out the night concerns and fears
Parade in and out of my mind:
Is he warm enough? Fed enough? Comfortable enough?
And a hundred other worries of this kind.
But before I know it, the first rays of sunlight are peeking through the shades;
My baby looks up at me with eyes so trusting, alert, and bright.
And I whisper one more prayer with a gentle sigh of relief--
Dear Lord, I thank Thee for helping us to make it through this night!



Image from: http://littledisciplesdaycare.com/ChristCuddlingBaby.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I've felt every line of that for the past month too! :)

    ReplyDelete