Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Herriman hero


Lynn Allred says anyone would have done the same, but his recent actions saved a woman’s life.
On Feb. 6, Allred, a vice-principal at Herriman High School, had just left work and was heading to the local credit union to turn over a Dodge Durango to its new owner.When he came to the intersection of 13000 South and 5500 West, he noticed the Honda Accord in front of him appeared to be stalled.
“I was getting ready to jump out and go help push the car,” Allred said, but then he noticed the driver was moving around in a strange way.
Allred realized that something was wrong with the driver, and then the other driver hit the gas. “She was driving through construction cones and barricades, so I hurried and punched the gas to pull up alongside her.”
When Allred looked inside the car, he could see that the woman driving the car was having some sort of medical episode. He also noticed that her car was heading straight toward a tractor with a digging bucket that was at the same level as the car’s windshield. The car was going about 25 to 30 mph at this point.
“I didn’t really have time to think about it. I just knew that if she hit that bucket, it would probably kill her,” Allred said.
Allred took action. He pulled in front of the car and hit his brakes to allow the car to bump into the back of his Durango a few times to slow it down. Allred then swerved out of the way at the last minute to avoid hitting the bucket himself. The car slowed down and rolled into the backside of the tractor at about 5 mph.
Allred immediately jumped out of his vehicle and tried to get into the other car to help the driver. The other driver, 25-year-old Shareena Knight, was conscious but unaware of what happened or was happening. An ambulance soon arrived and emergency crews were able to break into Knight’s car and take her to the hospital.
Knight had a massive stroke two years ago and had to relearn basic skills many of us take for granted. She was doing well prior to the accident.
Two days after the accident, Knight’s mother, EvaSue Taylor, sent Allred an email thanking him for his actions. Allred said that the email was wonderful and really touched his heart.
A week later, Knight came to Herriman High School with her husband and 3--year-old daughter to thank Allred. Unfortunately, Allred didn’t get to meet her at that time.
Knight left a gift basket and a card thanking him “for helping [her] be around to be a mother on earth a little longer.
“I’ve been hoping to see her again ever since the accident just to know she’s okay,” Allred said.
Allred is quick to point out how good the school and community have been to him following the accident.
“I wasn’t asking for anything, I’m just grateful she’s okay, but a lot of great things have happened since,” he said.
On March 13, Jordan School District Superintendent Patrice Johnson came to the school and presented Allred with a certificate recognizing his heroic actions. The teachers gave him a standing ovation.
Students like to call him ‘The Herriman Hero’ and keep telling him things like, “I can’t believe you did something like that.”
Also, Superior Auto Parts in Riverton fixed the Durango, and when they heard that Allred’s insurance wouldn’t pay for a rental car, they even covered the cost.
After the accident, the original buyer was no longer interested in the Durango, but a teacher at the high school ended up buying the vehicle.
“Herriman is a great area. Everyone has been so kind to me,” Allred said. “It’s great to see all the good things people do.”

“Anybody would have done the same,” Allred said, speaking of his actions that Feb. afternoon, but he also acknowledges, “I was there for a reason.”

No comments:

Post a Comment