Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

We had quite the adventure for Memorial Day weekend. Let's just call this adventure 'Our Redneck Vacation'! As you read on, you'll see why! =) On Thursday we went and picked up a rental trailer that Nic found on the internet. It was at a great price, and we didn't trust the weather to risk sleeping in a tent (and it's a good thing we didn't!). We affectionately called our trailer the 'Ghetto Trailer.' It was an old trailer but in excellent repair and very clean. Then Friday we packed up our Ghetto Trailer (home-sweet-home), and headed out to the middle of nowhere to go camping with Nic's side of the family. I don't know if it's just me nesting, but now I want a trailer of my own, even an old, ghetto trailer will do! As I was packing up the trailer, I was thinking how nice it would be to have our own trailer with our own camping dishes, blankets, and camping stuff already packed and ready. I love camping!

(The Ghetto Trailer)

Anyway, we didn't get to camp until late, so pretty much we just ate some warmed up dinner and then went to bed. I wondered how Sam would do sleeping in a trailer and camping. He loved it! Sam went right to sleep. Gus, however, had a hard time the first night. He cried most of the night and ran back and forth. Some time in the middle of the night, Gus needed to go out, and since I also needed the potty, I got up and let him out. I was standing outside watching him, when suddenly Gus just disappeared. It was dark and Gus is black, so it was hard to see if he was close or had run off. I half-whispered/called for him, but he wasn't coming back. So I went back into the trailer and woke Nic up. I was a little worried because Gus had never been camping before (he's kind of a city-dog). Sam had given us all a cold, so before bed, I had drugged everyone up with cold medicine. So waking Nic up was a little difficult. Finally, I shook him awake. Here's our conversation:
Me: Gus is outside but I don't know where he is. I need you to whistle for him.
Nic: Let me see if I've got this straight. Gus is outside and you don't where he is. And we need to whistle for him?
Me: Yes.
Nic: Do you want to do it, or do you want me to do it?
Me (in my thoughts): I just thought I would wake you up to come watch me whistle for the dog. It's going to be that spectacular.
Me (aloud): I don't know how to whistle, you know.
Nic: Oh.
Finally, a few minutes later, Nic gets up, whistles for the dog, and Gus comes trotting right back.

Saturday, we went for a walk, Sam and Nic shot Sam's BB gun, we went digging for trilobites, we ate good food, and we hung out and played games. We had a lot of fun. We discovered that Sam loves rocks. He had fun just finding and collecting rocks. It was cute too when we were digging for trilobites, Sam gathered all these rocks and made a little rock nest. He wanted to bring all of the rocks home! Gus was in dog heaven too. He loved the open space. He just ran and ran and ran. That night, he slept really well! And, let it be forever noted, that after a long grueling game of Monopoly, a little, country girl (moi!) won! Let it also be noted that with just some property on ghetto row and some property down south, I beat my husband with the MBA and a double degree in accounting and finance! =) Also, during lunch I almost mooned all of my in-laws. I had just sat down to eat my delectable hotdog when I felt a pinching on my thigh. At first, I just thought I had a sticker or something in my pants but then it started to hurt worse and burn. I jumped up, almost pulled down my pants, but then decided it would be more appropriate to go into the trailer. Once I was in the trailer, I discovered a little red fire ant in my britches who gave me a pretty good bite. 'Ants in my pants' has a whole new meaning to me now!

(Shooting Sam's BB gun; They're doing their tough look...)

(Out on a walk).

(Digging for trilobites).

Sunday we woke up to giant, fluffy snowflakes falling from the sky. I was very glad not to be in a tent at that point! We didn't let a little cold weather and snow get in the way of our adventures, however. We decided to go for a little drive (along the way we picked up some hitchhikers even!), and went to Lehman cave. We took a tour of the cave which was really neat. I haven't been into a cave since I was a little girl. Sam seemed to really enjoy it too. One of the highlights was having a family picnic in this little cabin by Lehman cave. After that we went back to camp and played games. Let it be noted, again, that I won both Phase 10 and Pirates of the Caribbean Life! I was on a winning streak! Let it be noted that such luck will never happen again.

(This is the cabin where we ate lunch. Notice the lovely summer weather!)

(Doing lunch pioneer-style!)


Monday we mostly just packed up and headed home. By that time, Nic and I had developed a really good cold, and so we came home and just crashed. But despite the weather and being sick, we had so much fun!

(Just hanging out).

(Our wonderful chef--Uncle Steve).

(Catching tadpoles. The cousins took some home, but not poor Sam!)

Who needs Disneyland when you can have this much fun out in the middle of nowhere?!

1 comment:

  1. photo's look great - it looks like you all had a really wonderful time
    Personally speaking, I don't think that you can beat a tent for the whole camping experience, but each to their own.

    Lou :-)

    ReplyDelete