Let it be noted that I was once an English teacher but am now the mother of four very young and very vivacious children. I blame all grammatical and spelling errors on this fact and ask for your compassion and forgiveness (and maybe some brownies too). =)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Valentine's Treat

For anyone wondering why Sam keeps patting his belly and repeating, "Baby, baby, baby...", there is an explanation--the kid just can't keep a secret. He must take after his mother in that aspect! And despite his confusion, there is no baby in his belly, but there is one in mommy's belly. What?! Yes, it is true, I am thirteen weeks pregnant! The secret is out! You have no idea how hard it is to keep a secret like that! I did my best, though there may have been a divulgence (this is a word I made-up meaning a 'spilling of the beans') or two and a rapidly expanding waist line. We just had our second doctor's appointment today and got to listen to that beautiful beating heart. What a miracle! I am amazed at this wonderful new blessing in our lives. I have now posted some of the original posts from when we found out to our first doctor's appointment.

We wanted to tell our parents on Valentine's day with a special Valentine's treat. First, we went out to G-ville to tell my parents. My sister was in on the secret and helping me with my secret plans to surprise my parents. Well, we were trying to work around my dad's work schedule with driving bus. I originally thought it would be cool if he were at the high school in his bus, and we had one of the secretaries call him in on the CB, but that didn't work out. So I told Nanny to tell my dad that she wanted to take him out on a daddy-daughter date for lunch. Then I forgot about that, and texted my dad to see what time his lunch was because Sam wanted to bring a special Valentine surprise. My mom heard that Nanny was taking my dad out for lunch and was jealous that she wasn't invited. Then my mom saw the text where I asked my dad what time his lunch was and thought that Sam and I were going out to lunch with my dad also. My mom was upset that she wasn't invited and included, and, sources say, she was a bit upset and grouchy that Valentine's morning. Anyway, Nic got off from work and we all drove down to G-ville. We picked up my dad and Nanny, and headed to the high school where my mom is a secretary. We must have planned really well because my brother was also at the school helping out with the mock trial team. We marched into the office and Sam presented grandma with a dozen red roses and a card. In the card we wrote a couple of Valentine's poems:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
When it comes to grandkids,
In August, you'll have TWO!

Roses are red
and liked by others,
Gus and Sam are so excited
to be BIG BROTHERS!

They were so surprised. They weren't expecting that news at all! My dad thought the Valentine's surprise would be that Sam was walking. We all went out for hamburgers to celebrate, and then Nic had to get back for work.

A few hours later, we took Nic's parents out for dinner. We told them that it was payment for taking care of Gus the week before. We then presented grandma with a dozen yellow/orange roses. I had put the name of each their grandkids on each rose. Right now, they have ten grandkids, plus Gus, and then on one rose it said, "Coming soon". So we told grandma to look at her roses. Then we had this frame for her. In her living room, grandma has these folding frames with a picture of each of the grandkids. So we got a folding frame and put a picture of Gus in one and "? Jenkins--Coming Soon" in the other. Then in the card, we had another poem:
Grandkids are special,
Grandkids are fun,
If you count Gus,
You'll have eleven plus one!

They were also very surprised. At first, they thought we were trying to tell them that we were getting another dog!
So once again, we've pulled off a grand surprise (though I don't think anyone is as surprised as us!) Grandmas and grandpas are excited and can hardly wait. What a Valentine's treat!

3 comments:

  1. congrats! you've been glowing and I've been wanting to ask but trying to let you be private too...thanks for confirming my suspicions! Maybe we have combined RS/YW opening this week and you can have some good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! I am super duper excited for your family!! that sounds like a great valentine's day for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting! :) I couldn't be happier for you!

    ReplyDelete